Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparing Shop-Rite and Stop & Shop

Default Comparing Shop-Rite and Stop & Shop

We were Shop-rite 'ers for a long time, but recently we were getting fed up with the poor quality produce, ice cream that had partly defrosted and was re-frozen, and frequent high prices, so we gave Stop & Shop a try.

We liked it! Not nearly as crowded, very very clean, great service, fabulous produce, Boar's Head deli, good bagels muffins and rolls. They had LOTS of selection and overall better prices, in my opinion.

Anyone done any serious comparisons?

The only comparison I've done is looking at their advertisements side by side. It seems to me that SR's prices are better with none of the "buy one-get one" come-ons that don't advertise any price at all. For what we buy, SR seems to be better in price.

As far as produce is concerned, I wish that SR would turn off those water sprinklers on the lettuce! It makes it turn into a slimy mess and when you're paying by-the-pound, I really don't want to pay extra for waterlogged greens!

Default Shoprite vs. Stop & Shop

Been shopping at Shoprite for seven years and tried stop & shop a couple of times. I still think Shoprite is better, more selections when it comes to meat, poultry, seafoods, milk, OJ....Can't even find a box of waffles at stop & shop when I was there and the cashiers are not as friendly.

I am a Shope-Riter and a Stop n Shoper, depending on what is on sale for that week. Traditionally SR is cheaper than S&S . However, just a few miles away in PA (in Easton on 248) is the famous Wegmans - and believe it or not contrary to what people say their prices are not much higher than that of SR or S&S. i think any concerns about produce and the like do not exist at Wegmans :P

Quote Originally Posted by JLoreti
    Have you taken a new look at Stop & Shop? I believe they have greatly improved the looks and quality of produce and deli. Give them a second look I think the atlosphere has greatly improved and they are still make improvements.
    You're right, and that's why I started this thread. I very rarely buy pre-processed foods like frozen waffles, so my opinions are based on vegetables, fruits, dairy and meats. NOBODY beats Wegmans, but I think S&S has better quality than Shop-Rite and the employees have treated me just fine.

Hmmmm... maybe I'll take a look. I, for one, thought that Shop Rite's produce was noticeably better than S&S, but I haven't been in awhile.

What surprises me most is that Shop Rite's meats are, typically, better than even Wegman's. Tastier, more tender, and much cheaper. Wegman's has some great prices on some things, but their meats have always been expensive. I wouldn't mind, if they were better, but they're not.

Now, as for Wegman's CHEESE... aye carumba, they've got the best this side of Zabar's. Great coffee selection, too.

The one thing I really, really like about Shop Rite is that it's a local franchise. Joe Colalillo owns it, and runs it like a local store. He really supports a lot of local charities, treats his employees very well, etc.

Wegman's is a great place to work, but their philanthropic heart is in Rochester. I used to live there, so I know from whence I speak. Great guy, Danny Wegman, but he does what you'd do - funnels most of his charity locally. Not all - some stays local - but most.

Ditto Stop & Shop. A big giver in Boston, where I've also lived, but here? Not so much.

Unless I have a real reason not to give my money to the local guy, I always support the local guy...

John Kerry said' Study hard, dont stay out late and do your homework and you'll end up shopping at Wegmans. If you don't you'll be stuck in Stop and Shop".

John F Kerry Reporting for Duty ... :idea:

OH, HE HE. That was funny. Kerry would have been alot better than your moron bush who killed 665,000 innocent iraqis, 3000 American troops, drove up record deficets and drove out American industry with the help of his a-hole father bush 41's NAFTA idea to create a one world Walmart economy. :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by Nikita Khrushchev
    OH, HE HE. That was funny. Kerry would have been alot better than your moron bush who killed 665,000 innocent iraqis, 3000 American troops, drove up record deficets and drove out American industry with the help of his a-hole father bush 41's NAFTA idea to create a one world Walmart economy. :evil:
    Wow, probably the best post I've ever read on Stewartsville.com

665,000 Iraqi's?

And, btw, the deficit is down. Not getting much press, but it's true - about 1/2 of what was estimated. Unemployment is at the lowest it's been in something like 20 years, too, not that you'd notice.

And I'm pretty sure there was a president between the Bushes who actually signed NAFTA into law. What was his name again? You got a problem with NAFTA, you might want to re-think supporting his wife.

What are you, on crystal-meth? You clearly have no sense of reality. Not even close.